Friday, March 14, 2008

My Favorite Artists

I've got a play list of my favorite artists on my computer; I use it when I'm only in the mood to listen to music, and don't want to get thrown off by some of the weirder entries on my machine - especially 8-bit Nintendo game soundtracks (which are all well and good now and then, when I have a bout of nostalgia).



So without further ado, here's the artists who make the cut:


  • Alice in Chains
  • The Beatles (a few tracks)
  • Bob Marley
  • Counting Crows (just Mr. Jones, though I should put a few others there)
  • Dinosaur Jr. (just Feel the Pain)
  • Earth, Wind and Fire (just September; thank you Elite Beat Agents!)
  • Failure
  • Foo Fighters
  • Modest Mouse
  • Oasis (a couple tracks)
  • Ozzy Osbourne
  • Pearl Jam
  • A Perfect Circle
  • Posies
  • Radiohead
  • Rush
  • The Slip (just Even Rats; thank you Guitar Hero!)
  • Spacehog
  • Tool

It's interesting, and sometimes a little jarring, to hear a track segue between two completely different artists (Tool to Radiohead comes to mind, although they are both very experimental when it comes to song design).

I suppose this is a cop-out when it comes to this instead of actual content, but I'd like to think my opinions matter, and maybe someone out there will pick an artist of this list and learn to love them, or just take a look at similar song selections and think I feel validated.

I ought to get better at making mix CD's. I had an idea one time, to make a bunch of mix CD's with different moods for each - you know, so you don't get into a certain feeling on one song and listen to something incongruous. Instead of a track list on the front, I'd just put a face that matches the mood of the song. It might open me up to ridicule, though, for a passenger to look through my song selection and see subtle variations of negative emotions - angry, surly, disaffected, ennui, sadness, depression, and nihilism, perhaps with manic thrown in there for fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I notice Filter no longer makes the list, yet Rush does. How we change. I used to have 3 mix tapes labeled light, medium, heavy. That was when you were at NCSSM. The best bands (Weezer) would make the cut on all 3 tapes.