Thursday, August 31, 2006

Poker

I love poker. I usually come out ahead, but I have my streaks of really bad luck. I also take a bad beat pretty hard. Still, I like playing. Even if I have noone to play with, I'll lay down some cards and dictate who I am, and think of how I'd bet. I'll even sometimes play a verbal game of poker with my wife. That's the best:

Me: Let's play a virtual game of Texas Hold'em.

Wife - in the other room, not paying attention: OK.

Me - not actually touching a deck of cards: OK, the cards are dealt. You have an Ace of Hearts and an Ace of Spades. Do you bet?

Wife: Sure.

Me: OK, I call. The flop comes down. An Ace of Clubs, a King of Spades, and a 2 of Diamonds.

Wife: What do I have now?

Me: Three Aces. Do you bet?

Wife: Sure.

Me: OK. I call. The turn comes. It's a 2 of Clubs. You have a Full House. Do you bet?

Wife: Sure.

Me: I call. And the river comes. It's a 2 of Hearts. Do you bet? Are you all in?

Wife: Sure.

Me: OK. I have a 7 of Clubs and a 2 of Spades. I have Four of a Kind. I win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remaining anonymous is now required, and not just desired...I shall agree that poker is quite the addictive beast, and we actually threw together a last minute game tonite (almost called you, but assumed you had plans so late on a saturday)...I did ok as usual, but we need to get some games going in a different location...Combs is probably moving to Durham in the next 2 months (within minutes of both of us and my old apartment), so his place will be great for that and for games...tell no one, remain anonymous, and require ID from all ladies on Franklin street...