Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My Dark Master

Since I have begun playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Wii, I have come to accept a new master in my life.

Her name is Midna. I met her soon after I began playing the game. After a short introduction where I was introduced to my life as a ranch hand, I was ambushed by some sort of goblin, knocked unconscious, and sucked into a dark realm of some sort, where I turned into a wolf. Here is a video of our encounter:

She floats through the air, and speak in a sort of hollow gibberish that I can understand. She teases me mercilessly, she promises that she will help me escape my wolf form and rescue my friends if I will only accept that I am now her bitch.

Which I accept.

And then she proceeds to ride me like the jackass I am.

I do what she says, I go where she tells me. I listen to her make fun of me and tell me I should be smart enough to figure out this part by myself. Obediently, I obey her every whimsical beck and call while she yawns and stretches out on my back.

What a fascinating character! I have grown quite fond of Midna throughout the course of my adventures. The way you interact with her through the story is like being led by the nose by a very powerful, dark, spoiled, mischievous and playful little child.

I can never quite shake the feeling that her intentions don't have a sinister edge to them, but she does help me out quite a bit in return. When the way forward is not clear, she glides forward to show me places to jump where I can find sure footing. After a while, all the taunting and "You gotta do what I say" drops off a bit and it feels like a strange buddy flick - the stoic hero and the dark child partnered up to save the world.

I feel like I am following her lead but also that I am her guardian at the same time. She reacts with fascination at events that don't seem to phase me.

You may be thinking, the first person perspective is a little much for a blog post about a character in a video game, but if you know me well enough by now, you'll know that I take these things very seriously. I like to completely immerse myself in each gameplay experience, and little touches like this are what makes the difference between a fun game that I pick up and play and put away and a game that I remember years later like a favorite bedtime story.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, you REALLY like that wii dont you??...lol...its all good man...I think Goss is planning on hosting some form of card game at his place this weekend, so if I hear anything certain I'll be in touch..

Anonymous said...

oh, james. . . james, james james. . .

there will be an intervention soon.

Buzz Head said...

God, i think she can be irritating!!!

Buzz Head said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Buzz Head said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Buzz Head said...

Soory. Computer duplicated my comment.