Monday, January 29, 2007

Quiznos Vs. Subway

And the winner is Subway.

I used to make a regular habit of going to Subway at lunch alone. I'd bring a book with me, and order one of the 6-inch sub combos, and be content with that. I'd get one of the 6 grams of fat or less subs, some baked chips or sun chips, eat slowly, then read for the remainder of my lunch hour. I eventually got adjusted to the lighter portion, and came to enjoy my little ritual, until my life got derailed and I had to quit that.

Now, I'm trying to get back into that groove, and I decided to start again today. However, I recalled the Quizno's commercials, and their assault on Subway, and decided to give it a try. The commercials pointed out two things:

1) Quizno's subs are toasted.

Then Subway offered to toast there subs, and the commercials turned into:

2) Subway doesn't give you any meat. If you compare the two side by side, Quizno's meat overflows the sub. Subway does not

I felt a little guilty for "betraying" my local Subway guys by testing out the competition, but I believe that any opinion, be it culinary, political, or video game, is more worth having if you try to see what's good about the other side before blindly choosing one.

So, I went today and got a medium Italian sub, and came to the following conclusions:

1) Quizno's give you more meat.

Perhaps too much meat - they certainly don't have any spokespeople advocating the health benefits of eating Quizno's every day.

The problem is, you pay for all that extra meat. My combo cost me nearly $10. Subway has always offered to double your meat for a nominal charge for as long as I can remember ($1 for a 6" and $2 for a footlong), and the price works out the same. As far as I can see, Quizno's isn't making me a better offer; they're just not giving me an option for normal meat.

2) Subway's bread is magical.

The first thing I smell coming into Subway is that bread. Part of the reason I don't get my sub toasted very often is that the bread is just so tasty. It's got just the right amount of gluten for that texture that's soft, yet firm, without being spongy like everything I've ever tried to make subs with at home.

3) I like variety of vegetable toppings.

What they show in the Quizno's commercials is a Subway sub with lettuce on it. No wonder it looks pathetic. If you're going for a meat-only sub, then you don't go to Subway. You go to Subway for that delicious variety of fresh vegetables. I always get everything but mayo when I go - wonderful. Every bite has it's own combination of flavors - sometimes you get some pickles and tomatoes, sometimes it's olives and banana peppers, and every now and then a jalapeno. I always announce "everything but mayo" right away so the sandwich artist has the opportunity to put together the sub without overstuffing it, but it still barely closes by the time they're done.

4) The yellow theme really works

For some reason, the yellow colors of the benches and walls really soothe me. I think there's some science behind colors that explains it all. I know red is supposed to make you hungry, but I think yellow makes you happy.

OK, I'm done. I know I sound like a Subway spokesman - I'm not. I'm pissed that my local Subway stopped the Subway club, and raised the prices on the 3 subs after 5 promotion. Still, I think they're the best sandwich out there, and probably my favorite guilt-free meal anywhere.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Subway is the devil I tell you. No matter where I work I always end up having only 2 or 3 options, and one of which is ALWAYS Subway. Currently, its my only option. My only job that wasnt located near a subway was right beside a quiznos and I would MUCH rather eat there. Yeah its pricey, yeah its a bit much, but I adore the carrot cake, and I really like the honey bacon club sub. Oh, and the emplyees usually speak english. Yeah.

Anonymous said...

At first I just disagreed with you. But then I just had to laugh when you said "sandwich artist". Bahahahah!

Quizno's totally beats Subways ass. And Quizno's has healthy choices too, you know, they're listed on the menu and they rock.

Anonymous said...

i like Subway, but Quizno's kicks AAASSSSSS!!!!

Anonymous said...

One Baconator equals to 4 6-inch subs or 2 12-inch subs at subway. One Baconator equals to one and a half 12-inch Quiznos subs.

Subway is healtheir and better end of story.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me?

Subway could be healthier, but in terms of taste, I definitely prefer Quizno's. And I like the Quizno's bread better then Subway bread.

Anonymous said...

You're KIDDING right? Since when does CHICKEN taste like TOFU?! LEAVE THE GOD DAMN CHICKEN BREASTS ALONE and I'll consider eating there again. For now, eating at subway is as appetizing as licking a smelly goat ass. Think about it.

Anonymous said...

Subway is for those who care about themselves. Quiznos is for all you fat ass' whom don't. now shut the fuck up.

BIG E muthafucka said...

ay yo quizznoz iz tha shizznit yo. yo take note o that shit subway smells yo gotta burn them threads after eatin at tha shithole tha b subs man. quizzzyz fer da win Gmoney! UHHHH BIG E out pce nukkas